Muonbeer

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MuonBeer, Insanity has never been so well hosted

Bound by Dreams - a WoW Fanfic

crow
    crow

Bound by Dreams - a WoW Fanfic Empty Bound by Dreams - a WoW Fanfic

Post  crow Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:09 am

In the fraction of a moment before my world went black, my senses functioned just long enough that I could hear a sinister laugh, and some gibberish words - the Alliance language "Common", I believe. I felt him slide his dagger out of my back, but I don't remember hitting the ground. Everything disappeared. And although it seemed I'd left the world of the living behind, my mind seemed to continue functioning. Unable to move, I writhed inside my head, waiting for death.

Then I got bored.

I began to stew in my anger. That motherless human scumpile. I wondered if this was my soul preparing to part from my body, instead of "crossing over," or whatever it is that happens when things die properly, as I clearly wasn't doing. If that was true, I was going to spend the rest of eternity haunting him. I couldn't believe he got the jump on me. ME! I had spent years upon years becoming one with the shadows, getting the jump on everyone else. I was never supposed to be on the receiving end of it! This was all my mentor's fault, back in Silvermoon. I should give him a piece of my mind. Or perhaps a piece of deathweed crushed in his tea.

"What's taking so long!" I shouted into the darkness, immediately startled by my apparent ability to speak. I tried it some more. "Let me die already!"

Were it so simple.

The strange, sudden voice, speaking in Thalassian, no less, seemed to resonate all around me, having no definitive source. The words spoken carried a peculiar tone, soft like the flap of an owl's wing, and suave like serpentine locomotion. In some ways it was the most beautiful, enchanting voice I had ever heard, but at the same time it seemed to seep into my veins like a venom and corrode away my insides. I wanted to shudder, but although I could speak, I was still paralyzed.

You cannot speak. You only perceive that you can speak. Haven't you figured that out by now?

I recoiled mentally. The entity was reading my mind.

Wait... this is familiar...

And then it all came to me. I remembered. I knew what the voice was and where I was - at least, where my mind was. This was the Dream.

Every single night, for the past several months, I had been visiting another world in my dreams. Although some might simply think it was just a recurring dream, the dreams were never identical. The world I found myself in when I slept seemed to be continuous, as if it were another plane of existence. I didn't understand why or how I returned here night after night. It used to frighten me, but now it was only irritating. Although at first I dismissed it all as just dreams, this had been happening so long that I began to grow used to it, and I'd started seeing this dream-world as just as real as the "real-world". I never told the Magisters about this - I was worried they'd tell me I was going crazy. Or worse, becoming a Wretched, and be imprisoned or even executed.

There only seemed to be one living inhabitant in the dream-world - that would be the voice speaking to me. Whether it was true or not, I accepted that this being was not merely a voice in my head, but another separate person. He was not inside of me anyway, he was a part of the dream-world. Moreover, he appeared to have some kind of power over this world, creating phantoms and landscapes and, well ANYTHING he wanted to at his whim. And it had become very clear, with my frequent visits, that he very much disliked me coming here.

"I'm here again." Everything was still just black. Darkness all around me. "Why? Shouldn't I be dead?"

Don't ask me. Honestly, I don't care. I would prefer that you stop lying there like a useless pile of nothing and stand up.

"If you hadn't noticed," I growled, "that rogue stuck a damned dagger in me and now I'm lying here bleeding to death."

Are you really that dense? Stop pretending to be wounded and stand up. All of that nonsense is in your head. You're in MY world, remember?

I stumbled over my thoughts. That actually made sense. I concentrated for a moment, trying to imagine opening my eyes.

A world appeared in front of me. A purple-blue sky with swirling green clouds cradling a warm, gentle sun. The smell of spring blossoms wafted on the pleasant cool breeze, blowing strands of my short black hair into my vision. Barely even thinking about it, I lifted my hand and brushed them away. The paralysis that held be to the ground seemed to have dissipated completely. I sat up in the blue-green grass, taken aback by the scenery laid out before me. Serene, tranquil plains rolled on and on as far as I could see, marked by grazing herds of wondrous animals I'd never seen before, and odd clusters of blooming fruit trees. In the sky were strange, ray-like birds - looking like some kind of cross between a sporebat and a dragonhawk, glided peacefully through the air, singing sorrowful, soul-moving melodies.

"This is... breathtaking," I barely managed to say. It felt unnatural to be here. Moments ago I'd been in the Grizzly Hills.

The Sparrow King, the dream-world's herald and master, the resonating voice, stood before me. He wasn't there a moment ago, but only appeared once I blinked. It would have startled me, but this was how he usually chose to appear. The sunlight glittered off his metal headdress, an elegantly designed mask with a songbird's likeness, fettered with a gale of feathers and carved with Sin'dorei-like swirling patterns. I could just see the lower half of his face beneath the mask. It was a human face, but that didn't mean much. He could appear as any race, any gender. Usually he chose the form of Blood Elf, but this time I got the distinct impression he was trying to taunt me by taking the likeness of my human assailant.

"It is, isn't it," he said, speaking normally. His headdress made a clinking sound as he turned to look at the fantastic world behind him. "I call this place Ra'Luranis, the Eternal Haven. It's my most recent work of art. A shame that you have to blemish it with your presence."

Taking a moment to feather my hair back into its appropriate shape, I slowly attempted to stand up. As I expected, a spasm of pain shot through my back and sent me back onto the ground, reeling in agony. I heard the Sparrow King turn to look at me. Suddenly feeling stupid, I tried again, this time telling myself that I was not truly wounded, and that the pain was just in my head. I found my way to my feet without any problem.

Though I was relieved the pain was gone, I knew that the other me was still there in the Grizzly Hills, bleeding a pool onto the mossy forest floor. Why was I here? Had I died? Had I left the real world and come here in death? Was I trapped here forever?

"I certainly hope not," the Sparrow King muttered. I shuddered, almost physically feeling him in my head. A twisted smile curled on the visible portion of his face. "You don't like that, do you? I don't either. There's nothing I can do about it. I can hear your thoughts loud as a chiming bell tower no matter where in the Dream I am. You have no idea what pain this causes me. What torment you visit on me."

"Look," I snapped, narrowing my eyes. "If I could stop coming here, I would. Hasn't that become clear to you?"

Through the headdress's eye holes he stared at me. Concealed by the mask's darkness, I couldn't see his eyes.

"I've become bored of this." The Sparrow King glanced up for a moment. The air around him seem to whorl and bulge, much like the swirling air above a fire. I watched the twisting light grow opaque, and take on a familiar shape. Large, reptilian, angry shapes. I stumbled backward at the sight of these newly created creatures - THESE ones I recognized.

The Sparrow King smiled. "Yes. These are what you call Devilsaurs, I believe."

Yep. He was right.

Eight of them stood there, their beady, savage eyes focused directly on me. Their opened their mouths into hungry, toothy smiles. Globs of thick drool oozed from their gaping maws, dripping in tendrils down to the soft, grassy earth. I reached for my daggers, surprised to find them properly sheathed on my hips, and held them in front of me. It was a pointless measure, but it was an instinctive reflex. There was no way I was about to take down eight Devilsaurs.

"I would be delighted to see you try." The Sparrow King added a cruel snicker. "Though it would be just as fun to watch you flee for your life."

I wouldn't have to. The shadow was my ally. Adjusting my dagger's hilt in my right hand, I reached for a smoke pellet, packed with vanishing dust that would allow me to easily escape this predicament.

My hand groped the air.

"The shadow won't save you here, Blood Elf," the Sparrow King said. His Devilsaur companions shook the ground as they began to step closer to me. "This is my world. Everything that happens here happens because I allow it to. I allowed you to block out your pain. I allowed you to stand up. I allowed you to experience this beautiful landscape. I will not allow you to escape."

Fear's wretched claws began to close around my heart.

No. No.

"Th...They can't hurt me," I stammered. "They aren't real. None of this is. You've tried to kill me before. I'll only wake up."

"Will you? Aren't you dead, this time? Are you sure you can wake up? Perhaps you will truly die here and I can be rid of you. Or not. Perhaps you'll never die, and you'll spend eternity here, forcing me to kill you over and over again. I think I would be equally happy with either outcome. It will be interesting to see how this turns out."

No. Was... was that true?

"Let us find out." The Sparrow King vanished. The Devilsaurs began to charge forward. Their long, enormous tails whipped in the air with all the glee of a happy dog.

Run, little Blood Elf.

I did.

The ground trembled under me as it bore the incredible weight of the Devilsaurs with their every thunderous footstep. Panic ravaged my every nerve, making my limbs feel electric. I gasped for breath, my lungs wracked with fearful desperation, my tiny elven legs moving as fast as I could manage, but my speed was nothing compared to the gargantuan creatures behind me. Every ounce of energy, every terrified thought in my head was being used to propel me forward. This was a new brand of fear. This was knowing that there was no way I could possibly escape what was behind me. There was no point in fleeing. I knew what was behind me was going to catch up and crush me in their jaws and tear me apart, all of them fighting for scraps. But my every primal instinct told me to RUN.

The ground plunged downward, leaving me hanging for just a moment above it. This was the result of a very large talon slamming into the ground behind me, the shock sending me up into the air. As the ground came rushing up again, I lost my vertical momentum. I was not going to land on my feet.

My elbows slammed into the dirt. Very real pain raced up to my shoulders. I rolled over just in time to see an open mouth, twice my size, coming down to devour me.

I closed my eyes and braced myself, waiting to feel each individual tooth pop into my skin.

Waited.

Nothing.

I opened my eyes - or rather, tried to. I couldn't. Everything was black again. What was happening to me? Was I dying again? Was this finally the end? Would I be stuck in this dream world when I woke up? Was I ever going to wake again?

What was happening to me?

What was happening to me?!
    crow
    crow

Bound by Dreams - a WoW Fanfic Empty Re: Bound by Dreams - a WoW Fanfic

Post  crow Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:09 am

Eventually I managed to open my eyes. Just a crack. A dazed, numb feeling in my head told me I'd lost consciousness. For how long, I didn't know. My vision was watery, too blurry to make out any distinct shapes. It was the sharp, fresh aroma of old pines that made me realize I was back in the Grizzly Hills. I could feel a dull, but growing pain in my lower back, which I hoped, in an odd way, was my dagger wound. I eventually, but all at once realized that I had survived the human rogue's attack, and that I was alive somehow. Pure liquid relief rushed through my body.

Thank the burning sun. I was alive!

My lip quivered. I could feel a tear stream down the side of my head.

It didn't occur to me that I might still be fatally wounded. All that mattered is that I was out of that wretched dream and back in the real world. I didn't care for how long.

The green and brown blobs of light in my vision turned suddenly white. An unfamiliar musky scent overpowered the smell of the forests.

Intrigued, I opened my eyes further.

My sight sharpened. Within moments I began to make out a feathered crest atop a white, scaly, triangular head. Diamond-shaped crimson eyes bearing slit pupils watched me studiously. As my groggy mind began to make sense of the images, I realized that the creature in front of me was not generally a friendly one.

Wind serpent!

"Ahh!"

I tried to scamper backward, but the pain from my wound sent a shock through my torso, temporarily locking the movement of my limbs. My strength robbed, I laid frozen on the ground. I expected the serpent to seize the opportunity to strike at me, but it only tilted its head. Its tongue flickered out of its mouth, whipped around as it tasted the air, and retreated back in. It didn't seem at all interested in lunging at me. It just watched.

It had the dumbest look on its expressionless face. To my broken, fuzzy mind, it looked... cute.

It averted its gaze from me to something nearby. There were three corked vials planted in the dirt next to me, filled with a faintly glowing red liquid. Runic potions. Sweet scarlet tonic. I frantically reached for one, popping out the cork with my thumb, and downed the whole thing. Almost instantly, the pain from my wound mostly dissipated.

The wind serpent hissed happily.

"Who... left these potions here?" I asked.

It flicked it tongue out, staring at me. With the pain gone, I managed to stand up. It was at this point that I noticed my armor had been removed and there was a thick layer of bandages around my midsection.

The wind serpent flapped its scaly, feathery wings and lifted itself off the ground. It fluttered over to a nearby campfire, which I hadn't even realized was there. Assembled above the fire was a cooking spit, crafted from pine sticks. Unrecognizable lumps of meat were skewered on it, crackling as they cooked. I belatedly noticed a troll, clad in mail armor, tending to roasting meat.

He glanced up at me, his tall white mohawk waving stiffly. His tusks were too long, and his build was too thin to be one of the Grizzly Hills trolls. I began to make out a Horde insignia on his armor. He must have been a Darkspear, though his short coarse fur was greener than most.

The wind serpent lowered itself to the ground and slithered up to him, sniffing hungrily at the meat on the fire.

"Not yet, mon," he said to it gently, smiling the only way trolls can manage to do with those enormous tusks. "It gotta be cooked good, or da fleas won't be killed propa. You don' wanna get fleas, mon."

The serpent hissed.

"Who are you?" I asked.

The troll looked back at me. "Sun'jin. I see you came t'rough all right, ya?"

"I think so." I looked down at the potions, then back at Sun'jin. "Are you the one who bandaged me up?"

"Dat's right, mon." The troll turned his attention back to his food. "I t'ink you gon' be okay."

I stood there staring at him for several moments, trying to read his face. I knew I should have been more grateful. He probably saved my life. But I had never met this troll and I was naturally wary. I knew there were different tribes of trolls, only one of which counted themselves as part of the Horde. But I was still a recent inductee, and the only trolls I'd ever known for most of my life were the Amani trolls, who constantly warred with us over Quel'thalas. It was still hard to see this one as an ally.

Stop that, I scolded myself. Thank the man.

I hesitated at the thought. That wasn't a man. That was a troll. I inwardly laughed at my own foolishness.

"Yes... thank you." I walked up to the fire and sat down on my knees. Without my armor, the northern winds that penetrated the forests of the Grizzly Hills were starting to chill me. I appreciated the warmth of the fire. The smell of the meat roasting was pleasant, and although familiar, I couldn't quite place it.

After several silent, excruciatingly awkward moments, the troll spoke.

"Well?"

I stared at him. "Well, what?"

"Haven't you got a name, mon?" He turned the cooking spit. "I told you mine. You bein' rude not givin' yours."

"Oh, sorry. It's Mephit."

He looked up at me. "Mephit?"

"...Yes."

"Dat isn't very elf-like."

"What would you know?"

"You be askin' me whet'er I know somet'in' about high elf names? You DO be knowin' elf-troll history, ya?"

High elf? "I'm a Blood Elf, not a High Elf. Can't you tell the difference?"

"No." His mohawk wobbled as he looked back down to his roast.

"Are you blind? Blood Elves have green eyes and redder skin. High elves have--"

"What sort of troll am I, mon?"

"What?"

"What sort of troll?"

I didn't know what he was getting at. "You mean what tribe?"

"No, mon." He glared up at me. "What kind of troll am I? Lookit me fur. Lookit me face."

"There's... there's different kinds?"

"Dat's what I thought." He shook his head. "Now be havin' some respect and be glad I gutted dat human for you." Sun'jin stared back into the fire. "Mephit."

"You killed him?"

"Ya, mon." With a knife, he prodded at the chunks of meat on the fire spit. Suddenly I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. "He gonna make a good lunch. More here den I'll be able to eat. You can have some if you be likin'?"

"You're... oh no... you're not cooking him?!"

"Why not?"

"Agh!"

"Wot?" He sliced off a piece with his knife. "It be cooked all da way through. You gonna have some?"

"NO!"

(( This shall be an on-going story. I'll write more installments later. This is based on a couple of my World of Warcraft characters.

I sketched profile of what the Sparrow King's headdress looks like, which can be viewed here.))

(( Oh, by the way. Sun'jin is pronounced "soon-jinn." ))

Last edited by crow on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    crow
    crow

Post  crow Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 am

(( I suppose it might be prudent to add pictures of some of these things so people know what trolls, blood elves, and wind serpents look like.

Mephit

Sun'jin

Wind Serpent ))

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:42 pm